An initial session with an EDUCATIONAL FUTURES consultant provides an opportunity to review a student’s academic and personal history and build a foundation for potential collaboration for educational planning.
This session is comprehensive and lasts approximately two hours. If possible, both parents should be present.
As appropriate, the session includes the following:
- Discuss student’s educational and experiential background
- Establish grade goals and discuss strategies to reach them
- Develop detailed time management plan and discuss good study habits
- Understand parental perspective and concerns
- Review student’s needs and objectives
- Evaluate current curriculum and advise on future coursework
- Review extracurricular activities and interests, both in and out of school
- Discuss standardized test schedule and preparation
- Provide overview of the college admissions timeline
- Review and advise on summer plans and activities
- Provide problem solving/conflict resolution as needed
The goal of the consultation is to provide families with a clear idea of where the student is in regard to their educational future and identify options moving forward. A secondary goal is to respond to the family’s questions and concerns that relate to the student’s status and plans. A written summary is included.